Highlights: 11- 16 June and 15–20 October, 2017. A VIP luxury tour to discover the best wine and food in Spain with just one departure. Ribera del Duero - Rioja - San Sebastian. 6 days/5 nights. 2895€ per person. Private visits in top wineries in Ribera del Duero and Rioja and a txacoli winery. Meet the winemakers and winery owners, traditional food, tapas, pintxos, Spanish wines tasting. Guggeheim Museum and Wine Culture Museum. Local guide expert in wine and history. OVER 60 wines tasted. Small group: Maximum 12 people
- June 11-16 and October 15-20, VIP TASTE OF NORTHERN SPAIN.
Ribera del Duero, Rioja and San Sebastian
6 days/5 nights. 2895€ per person.
Discover the best wine and food in Spain. A VIP luxury tour with just one departure. Starts in Madrid and ends in San Sebastian. 2 nights in Ribera del Duero, 2 nights in Rioja and 1 night in San Sebastian.
Vintage Spain, the country’s leading wine and food Tour Company, has put together this fantastic tour to experience the best Spanish wines and food. Our tasting adventure features full reds of Ribera del Duero, fine wines from Rioja and the refreshing white txacoli in the Basque country.
This is the ultimate tour to experience the best Spanish wine and food. An lifetime trip for bon vivants, foodies and wine aficionados, but also for people eager to discover the history and culture of Spain through its food and wine and its people. It includes visits to wineries in the most prestigious regions of Spanish wines: Ribera de Duero and Rioja, and the upcoming region of white wine txacoli in the Basque country, as well as an extensive introduction to the excellent Spanish gastronomy both traditional and creative and of course tapas. San Sebastian is a beautiful foodie heaven, home of the pintxos and a number of Michelin star restaurants. The tour will also take you through the history and art of Spain, from the medieval monasteries and cathedrals to the modern, cutting edge architecture of the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao.
We have selected unique hotels because lodging is a great part of the experience. All different, but all with the luxury standards of great five stars. The monastery of Valbuena from the XII century in Ribera del Duero, the modern building of Frank Ghery in the centenary winery of Marques de Riscal in Rioja, and the grand and glamorous Maria Cristina in San Sebastian
ART, HISTORY AND CULTURE: Spain is also its history and heritage, from the 13th century Burgos gothic cathedral to the 21st century Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, castles, churches and medieval towns.
YOUR GUIDE is a true insider: Owner led by Cristina Alonso, director of Vintage Spain.
- Day 1. Start in Madrid to Ribera del Duero (2 wineries and lunch). Night in Ribera del Duero
- Day 2. Ribera del Duero. (3 wineries and lunch). Night in Ribera del Duero
- Day 2. From Ribera to Burgos (cathedral and lunch) and Rioja (one winery). Night in Rioja
- Day 3. Wineries in Rioja (3 wineries and lunch). Night in Rioja
- Day 4. Bilbao, txacoli winery, lunch and San Sebastian. Night in San Sebastian
- Day 5. San Sebastian. Pintxos tour for lunch. End of our services
- Legend: L – Lunch, D – Dinner, H – Hotel, B - Breakfast, WV - Winery visits.
Day 1: Monday. Ribera de Duero. Night in Ribera del Duero. (H, L, 2 WV, D)
Pick up in Madrid at 10.00AM and drive to Ribera del Duero (about 2h). We will start with a family winery and visit of the vineyard. Tapas style lunch with wine tasting in an underground cellar in Aranda de Duero. Visit a family-owned winery that has cellars from the 16th century. Taste the different wines produced enjoying the company of one of the owners. Hotel check in and welcome dinner.
Day 2: Tuesday. Ribera de Duero. Night in Ribera del Duero. (H, L, 3 WV)
Today we will visit three wineries in Ribera del Duero. First a modern winery making high quality wines followed by a more traditional place where we´ll have lunch, the typical meal from Ribera, roasted lamb in a wood fired oven with Ribera del Duero wines. Visit a third winery with a total different philosophy after lunch. Visit the castle of Peñafiel. Arrive at the hotel with enough leisure time to enjoy the spa.
Day 3: Wednesday. Burgos and Rioja. Night in Rioja. (H, B, tapas L, WV)
Drive to Burgos where you´ll visit the famous cathedral. World Heritage monument by UNESCO. Our Lady of Burgos sums up Gothic architecture in all its beauty. Wine paired tapas lunch around Burgos famous Plaza Mayor.
Drive to Rioja to visit the Culture of Wine Museum, Dinastía Vivanco in Briones, located in a unique and historic location in the Rioja Alta and considered one of the best wine museums in the world. Visit the medieval walled village of Laguardia (13th c). Under the stone paved streets and homes of Laguardia it is full of old subterranean bodegas, and over them there are many historic monuments and sites, like the Gothic facade of Santa Maria de los Reyes church from the 14th century. Hotel check in and dinner on your own.
Day 4: Thursday. Traditional Rioja. Night in Rioja (H, B, L, 3 WV)
Rioja wine tour with two winery visits. We will arrange a visit to one of the traditional centenary wineries, a walk in the winery quarter in Haro and a visit to a boutique family owned winery. The tradition of Rioja is very well represented by these centenary wineries, which keep in their libraries bottles from the time of their founders. A traditional Riojan lunch in the winery will give you more opportunities to taste the wonderful Riojan wines. Visit a third winery with a fabulous art collection. Optional tapas dinner in Logroño.
Day 5: Friday. Bilbao, San Sebastian and txacoli wine. (B, L, WV)
Alter breakfast drive to Bilbao (1h 30 min) to visit the famous Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao designed by architect Frank Gehry on your own. This unique Museum is probably one of the best modern buildings in Spain, and represents architecture at its best. Visit a txacoli winery in Getaria, a very interesting white wine produced only in the Basque country. Fresh catch fish coal grilled lunch in Getaria and continue to San Sebastian. Optional dinner in a Michelin star restaurant.
Day 6: Saturday. San Sebastian and pintxos. (B, tapas lunch)
Breakfast and free morning in San Sebastian. Tapas or pintxos as they are called in San Sebastian for lunch in the old part of town.
The tour starts in Madrid and finish in San Sebastian. Optional extensions
- RIBERA DEL DUERO - Monasterio Santa Maria de Valbuena Hotel & SPA ***** This Hotel and SPA is the newest 5 star hotel in Ribera del Duero. It is located in the Golden mile, in the heart of Ribera del Duero and in one the best preserved Cistercian monastery of the 12th century in Europe. The rooms respect the old cells of the monks. It has a large thermal pool, contrast water circuit, an outside pool and offers complete spa services.
- RIOJA – Hotel Marqués de Riscal in Elciego *****. It is the hotel designed by Frank Ghery in the winery of Marques de Riscal www.marquesderiscal.com. Frank Ghery has also design eth Guggeheim Museum in Bilbao. The hotel has a Wine Spa by Caudalie. It also has two restaurants, one with a Michelin star and the second one, the Bistro, with traditional Rioja food. Located in Elciego, in a centenary winery is the perfect expression of Rioja today, tradition with the highest level modern architecture
- SAN SEBASTIAN: Hotel Maria Cristina ***** . This hotel was opened in 1912 and represents the history and elegance of San Sebastian. Recently renovated, has been the favorite place for all the visitors looking for exclusive comfort and a luxury stay. It is in the center of San Sebastian, by the river and within walking distance from the old part and the la Concha beach.
- DRIVING TIMES
- Madrid – Ribera del Duero: aprox 2 h
- Ribera – Burgos: aprox 1 h
- Burgos – Rioja: aprox 1h 30 min
- Rioja – Bilbao: aprox 1h 30 min
- Bilbao – San Sebastian: aprox 1h
- PRICE: 2895€ per person in double room. Single supplement. 490€
- 5 nights accommodation with breakfast in double occupancy in hotels proposed (2 nights in Ribera, 2 nights in Rioja, 1 night in San Sebastian).
- Meals as per itinerary with wine: 6 lunches and one dinner.
- 9 winery visits with wine tasting.
- Bilingual Spanish/English tour assistant during the tour for 6 days.
- Organization of your trip and planning. All documents and information needed for the tour. Taxes
- Wine present.
- The tour is guaranteed.
- This is not a private tour Small group. MAX 12 people
What is not included: Hotel expenses like mini bar, room service, laundry, telephone, etc., and expenses of a personal nature.
EXTRAS AND EXTENSIONS
EXTRAS: You can add any extra to this tour, for example:
- Madrid airport transfer: 50€
- Tapas tour in Madrid from 70€
- Transfer to San Sebastian airport from San Sebastian hotel: 50€
- Hotels in Madrid
- Extra night in San Sebastian
- Please ask for more, we have lots of memorable activities
We can customize the tours for you!
- We´ll be happy to add or remove nights. Change hotels
- Add transfers, flights or train tickets
- Make dinner reservations
- Add other activities like tapas tours, cooking classes, guided sightseeing tours
- Help you with planning the rest of the tour