Highlights: 2018 Scheduled departures April, May, August and November. Handpicked wineries, visits with winemakers and owners, special tastings, wine paired lunch, traditional food, tapas. History and culture: Burgos cathedral, Guggenheim Museum. Barcelona and wine tour to Penedes. Local guide expert in wine and history. OVER 50 wines tasted. Small group: Maximum 12 people
- 2018 SCHEDULED TOUR. Gourmet Wine Road from Madrid to Barcelona.
April 15-24th, May 27-Jun 5th, Aug 26th – Sep 4th, Nov 4-13th. 2345€ pp. (August departure, 80€ extra).9 nights
Visiting: Madrid - Ribera del Duero - Burgos- Rioja – Bilbao - San Sebastian - Barcelona.
1 night in Madrid, 1 night in Ribera del Duero, 2 nights in Rioja, 2 nights in San Sebastian, 3 nights in Barcelona
Vintage Spain, the country’s leading wine and food Tour Company, has put together this fantastic tour to experience the best Spanish wines and food. Our tasting adventure features full reds of Ribera del Duero, fine wines from Rioja, the refreshing white txacoli in the Basque country and the festive sparkling wines of Penedes.
This tour is an extension of the Classical Wines Tour, adding a tapas tour and a night in Madrid, two nights San Sebastian, 3 nights in Barcelona and a day wine tour to Priorat. Spending some time in Madrid will allow you to discover the vibrant capital of Spain and San Sebastian will give you the opportunity to savor this foodie city, home of the pintxos or tapas and Michelin star restaurants. The addition of Barcelona will make it the ultimate Spanish trip: architecture, food and wine from Penedes
WINERY ESTATES: We have carefully selected a diversity of the best estates to truly discover the essence and variety of Spanish wine country. Family owned, traditional and boutique wineries, historic medieval cellars and modern architecture masterpieces. You will be welcomed by winery owners, winemakers, and our personal friends in the area.
- In Ribera you will meet the families of TORREMILANOS and VALSOTILLO (both part of the pioneers who founded the Denomination of Origin), visit spectacular PORTIA by Norman Foster, and boutique winery LEGARIS. And have a special tasting of small producers in the underground cellar of BODEGA DON CARLOS.
- Rioja experiences are all unique. Find tradition in iconic MUGA, and see the contrast with the modern high tech of BAIGORRI. Meet the winemaker of exclusive Valenciso winery, a hidden gem in Rioja. Taste RODA prestigious red wines and olive oil. And visit DINASTIA VIVANCO, one of the best wine museums in the world.
- In Penedes, you´ll discover, cava, Spanish famous sparkling wine.
ART, HISTORY AND CULTURE: Spain is also its history and heritage, from the 13th century Burgos gothic cathedral to the 21st century Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, castles, churches and medieval towns.
YOUR GUIDE is a true insider: Jorge will be your guide for the wine part is from Ribera del Duero, has studied winemaking at the local school, has worked in wineries in Spain and Portugal, and he is an official cultural and history guide. In San Sebastian and Madrid you will also have local guides for the tapas tour. And and expert wine guide in Priorat. As good as it gets!.
HOTELS in the heart of the regions: Old world charm in Torremilanos, a winery chateaux hotel surrounded by vineyards in Ribera, and time to relax in Villa de Laguardia wine and oil spa, in the medieval town of Laguardia. A central four star hotel in Madrid, San Sebastian and Barcelona.
- Day 1.Arrive to Madrid. Pick up at the airport. Tapas tour for dinner. Night in Madrid
- Day 2. Drive to Ribera del Duero (3 wineries and lunch). Night in Ribera del Duero
- Day 3. From Ribera (one winery) to Burgos (cathedral and lunch) and Rioja (one winery). Night in Rioja
- Day 4. Wineries in Rioja (3 wineries and lunch). Night in Rioja
- Day 5. Bilbao, lunch and San Sebastian. Night in San Sebastian
- Day 6. Pintxos tour for lunch. Free day in San Sebastian. Night in San Sebastian
- Day 7. Fly or train to Barcelona. Night in Barcelona
- Day 8. Free day in Barcelona. Night in Barcelona
- Day 9. Wine tour to Penedes. Night in Barcelona
- Day 10. End of our services
Send us an email to book now
- Legend: L – Lunch, D – Dinner, H – Hotel, B - Breakfast, WV - Winery visits.
Day 1. Sunday. Madrid. Night in Madrid. (H, D)
Arrive in Madrid. Airport pick up and transfer to the hotel. Hotel check in. Group tapas tour for dinner. Your guide will take you for a visit of the historical part of Madrid and a tapas dinner with all food and drinks included. This will be an introduction to the city and also to Spanish food and wine.
Day 2. Monday. Ribera de Duero. Night in Ribera del Duero. Hotel Monasterio de Valbuena. (H, B, L, 3 WV)
Pick up in Madrid at 9.30AM and drive to Ribera del Duero (about 2h). Visit VALSOTILLO winery, a family-owned winery with cellars from the 16th century. Taste the different wines produced enjoying the company of one of the owners. After this traditional state prepare to be surprised by PORTIA, the masterpiece of British architect Normal Foster, visit and lunch at the winery. Enjoy the typical meal from Ribera del Duero, roasted lamb in a wood fired oven with Portia wines. Follow the Duero river towards Peñafiel, where you´ll explore the town and its magnificent castle from the 11th century. Visit the modern boutique winery of LEGARIS, with a total different philosophy. Stop in BODEGA DON CARLOS in Aranda de Duero, our favorite wine shop, for a special tasting of small wine producers in a medieval cellar. Check in your chateaux wine hotel and dinner on your own.
Day 3: Tuesday. Burgos and Rioja. Night in Rioja. Hotel Viura (H, B, tapas L, 2 WV)
After breakfast, visit the castle of Peñafiel from the XI century. Drive to Burgos where you´ll visit the famous cathedral, World Heritage monument by UNESCO. Our Lady of Burgos sums up Gothic architecture in all its beauty. Lunch in Burgos famous Plaza Mayor.
Drive to Rioja to visit VALENCISO, an exclusive boutique winery that makes some of the most elegant wines in the area. The winemaker will personally host us. Visit the medieval walled town of Laguardia (13th c). Under their stone paved streets it is full of old subterranean bodegas, and over them there are many historic monuments and sites. Check in your hotel with time to enjoy the SPA. Dinner on your own.
Day 4: Wednesday. Traditional Rioja. Night in Rioja. Hotel Viura (H, B, L, 3 WV)
Visit the iconic MUGA winery, where you can experience the tradition in Rioja winemaking. Walk in the bodega quarter in Haro and taste some wine and olive oil in prestigious RODA state. Time permits we can also stop in LOPEZ HEREDIA to try 10 year old white wines, living history of Rioja. Next stop is BAIGORRI, a high tech winery with a beautiful dining room overlooking the vineyards. Lunch in Baigorri will be a 5 courses gourmet meal paired with Baigorri wines. After lunch visit the Wine Culture Museum Dinastía Vivanco in Briones, beautifully located in Rioja Alta. Even a short visit is worth it for any wine lover since it is considered one of the best wine museums in the world. Dinner on your own.
Day 5: Thursday. Basque country: Bilbao and San Sebastian. (H, B, L, WV)
After breakfast drive to Bilbao (1h 30 min) to visit the famous Guggenheim Museum designed by architect Frank Gehry. This unique Museum is probably one of the best modern buildings in Spain, and represents architecture at its best. You will try Txacoli wine with lunch, this is a very interesting tart white wine produced only in the Basque country. Lunch will be the fresh catch fish of the day cooked over a coal barbeque in one of the Port restaurants overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Continue to San Sebastian. Hotel check in.
Day 6: Friday. Night in San Sebastian. (H, B, L)
Tapas/Pintxos tour for lunch. Free day in San Sebastian. Optional dinner in Michelin star restaurant
Day 7.Night in Barcelona (H, B)
Fly or train to Barcelona. Flight to Barcelona, not included. Transfer to the airport in San Sebastian included.
Day 8. Free day in Barcelona. Night in Barcelona (H, B)
Barcelona on your own. Optional guided tour in Barcelona with entrance to the Gaudi masterpiece of Sagrada Familia.
Day 9. Wine tour to Penedes. Night in Barcelona (H, B, WV, L)
Depart from Barcelona early morning to the prestigious red wine region of Penedes (about 1h drive). Visit two wineries and lunch with the wines from the area. Back to Barcelona.
Day 10. End of our services (B)
We can offer a shorter tour. Please check tour extensions.
- RIBERA DEL DUERO - 5 star Hotel and SPA Monasterio de Valbuena. A charming luxury hotel in the golden mile of Ribera.
- RIOJA – Hotel Viura. A very comfortable four star hotel in the heart of Rioja, an architectural masterpiece.
- MADRID, SAN SEBASTIAN AND BARCELONA. A central four star hotel in Madrid, San Sebastian and Barcelona.
- DRIVING TIMES
- Madrid – Ribera del Duero: aprox 2 h
- Ribera – Burgos: aprox 1 h
- Burgos – Rioja: aprox 1h 30 min
- Rioja – Bilbao: aprox 1h 30 min
- Bilbao – San Sebastian: aprox 1h
- Flight to Barcelona recomendad
- PRICE: 2345€ per person in double room. Single supplement. 495€
What is included: 9 nights accommodation with breakfast in double occupancy in hotels proposed (1 night in Madrid, 1 night in Ribera, 2 nights in Rioja, 2 nights in San Sebastian, 3 nights in Barcelona). Meals as per itinerary with wine: 5 lunches and 2 tapas dinner. 9 winery visits with wine tasting included. Bilingual Spanish/English tour assistant during the tour for 5 days. Madrid airport pick up. Transfer to San Sebastian airport.
(August departure, 80€ extra pp)
(NOTE: Flight to Barcelona not included)
Send us an email to book now