Priorat and Montsant wine regions are just two hours south of Barcelona. This is the place to discover the powerful reds from Garnacha and Cariñena old vines. You will visit there two of the most representative wineries with wine tasting and you'll have lunch in a restaurant with regional wines. You can also visit just one winery, the ruins of the Monastery of Scala Dei and do an olive oil tasting.
Two different tours, only wine or wine, olive oil and history
- PRIORAT AND MONTSANT WINE TOUR (Duration 10h). Visit two wineries in have a traditional lunch.
- PRIORAT: WINE, OLIVE OIL AND SCALA DEI RUINS. (Duration 10h). Visit a winery, olive oil tasting and visit the ruins of Scala Dei monastery, with a traditional lunch.
- Priorat is now one of the most interesting wine regions in Spain. Although it was considered a region producing rough wines in the old times, the red wines from Priorat have become very prestigious and sought after since the nineties. Very old vines, specially garnachas and cariñenas, and modern small wineries. But the most important thing in Priorat, and what makes the region unique, is the licorella soil, black slate in terraces located in a hillside terroir with really poor soil and low yield. The landscape here is spectacular, one of the most impressive in all Spain, small villages located in the mountains that are planted with vineyards in terraces. Montsant is the wine region that surrounds Priorat. But as you can imagine, the climate, the soil and the people are pretty similar, so Montsant wines are usually very good values, being generally less expensive that their neighbors from Priorat.
We have different tours, only wine or wine, olive oil and history
Priorat wine tour from Barcelona. (Duration 10h) We will start the drive to Priorat from Barcelona (2 hours drive) and we will visit two of the most representative wineries with wine tasting. We´ll try to select a more famous and larger winery and a smaller place, less known, also producing excellent wine. Lunch will be traditioanl seasonal food with Priorat and Montsant wines. Usually we choose traditional food, but we can of course include a more gourmet meal with a tasting menu paired with different wines.
Priorat wine and olive oil. (Duration 10h) Priorat has more than wine, olive oil is also a special product of Priorat, with the prestigious denomination of origin Siurana with the arbequina variety. One of the most interesting sights is the ruins of the Monastery of Scala Dei, located under the Montsant mountain range. So we suggest to depart Barcelona in the morning, visit a winery, have lunch, do an informal olive oil tasting in an olive oil shop and visit the ruins of Scala Dei for a full day of Priorat immersion.
Local wine tour in Priorat or tour from Tarragona. (Duration 8h) If you are already in Priorat you can have a local private wine tour for the day, you can visit two wineries and the ruins of Scala Dei or three wineries. The itinerary is similar but duration and price are different
If you want more information about this tour, or you want us to customize the tour for you please contact us.
- Wineries will be selected depending on availability and your personal preferences, we can always try to include the ones you prefer
- Usually you will taste a minimum of two or three wines on each winery; more extensive tastings can be included.
- Although this is a private tour we do not guarantee that the winery visit will be just for your group unless specifically requested. Please let us know if you prefer to have a private tour and tasting.
- Please keep in mind that Sunday is the worse day to visit wineries, Saturday is not great either but better than Sunday. However, we could arrange for a tour those days as well.
- If you have a specific budget let us know, we can consider it.
- These tours can be done starting with 2 people.
- If for any reason any given establishment is not available during the dates requested, we will change the winery, hotel or restaurant for a different one within the same category and level of service.
- Itinerary and wineries
- These are sample programs, we can customize them for your group. Wineries will be selected depending on availability and your personal preferences.
WINERIES:There are very famous wineries that can be visited like Clos Mogador, Clos de l’Obac, Val Llach, Buil I Gine, and smaller less know places like Clos Dominic, Clos Figeras, etc. NOTE: Alvaro Palacios winery is not open for general visits; only accept trade and professional visitors.
DURATION: Start from Barcelona at 8.30AM h and you can expect to be back at 6.30PM. Approximate duration about 10 h (depending on traffic). Local tour is about 8h.
08.30 AM. Pick up from your hotel in Barcelona
11.00 AM. First winery visit with wine tasting
1.00 PM. Traditional lunch
3.00 PM. Second winery visit with wine tasting
4.30 PM. Back to Barcelona with expected arrival at 6.30PM
Approximate driving times:
Barcelona - Priorat: aprox 2h